DNA - The recipe book of life!
Uncover the recipe book of life!
+ Make a personalised hanging DNA model mobile
+ Extract DNA from a banana
+ The older groups will also learn about the structure and function of DNA and how it holds all the information needed to build a life
Your home-education journal is already written!
In your booking confirmation email you'll receive a summary of the keywords, key concepts and student activities planned for this session. You can simply copy, paste and adapt it for your home-education journal and use it to help you discuss the learning with your child afterwards.
Tuesday 6th December
5-8s group: 11 - 11:50am (UK GMT)
8-12s group: 1 - 1:50pm (UK GMT)
11-15s group: 2:10 - 3pm (UK GMT)
(Select from the options below).
Equipment (To join entirely optional practicals)
It is a good idea to have a whiteboard or paper, pen, ruler and calculator to hand in each session.
To extract DNA:
- Small jug or beaker
- a fork
- 1/4 of a banana (a similar volume of kiwi or defrosted peas or a couple of strawberries should also work)
- A teaspoon of table salt
- A teaspoon of liquid soap / washing up liquid
- About 50mL very warm water (approx. 60℃) Take care against scalding and with water near electronics. Supervision with younger children is strongly recommended)
- A thermometer is helpful but not essential
- Filter paper: a coffee filter paper is fine (+ spare if possible), a muslin cloth would also work, but might be more difficult to handle.
- approx. 10mL very COLD isopropyl alcohol / surgical spirit / rubbing alcohol (available at most pharmacies and supermarkets) This should be placed in the freezer for at least an hour before use and only taken out when needed towards the end of the session.
- Tall, narrow glass or 50mL measuring cylinder
- A Pipette is helpful but not essential
- Long skewer / slim stick / pipe cleaner
To make a personalised hanging DNA model mobile:
- Two long pipe cleaners (ideally 30cm, but shorter would also work)
- Beads: four colours, at least three of each colour
- Scissors (take care with sharps)
- Dark felt pen or marker (fine tip)
- Four paper straws cut into pieces about 2cm long
- Colour pens / pencils (optional)
- eight pipe cleaner pieces, each cut to approx. 6cm.
Links show suggestions for appropriate resources
What might younger students need help with?
Younger students might need help with pouring liquids carefully, mashing banana, using scissors and assembling their model.
Price is for one device (screen) to join for one session.
Upon booking you will receive a photography consent form and opportunity to let us know about any Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).