DNA for 11-16s - Extract DNA and make a personalised DNA mobile!
Tuesday 5th December 2023: 2.10 to 3pm (Online STEM)
Uncover the recipe book of life!
+ Make a personalised hanging DNA model mobile
+ Extract DNA from a banana
+ Learn about inherited and environmental characteristics
+ Learn about the structure and function of DNA and how it holds all the information needed to build a life!
Your home-education journal is already written!
Your booking confirmation will include a digital download containing joining instructions and link, equipment list and a summary of the keywords, key concepts and student activities planned for this session. You can simply copy, paste and adapt it for your home-education journal and use it to help you discuss the learning with your child afterwards.
Equipment (To join entirely optional practicals)
It is a good idea to have a whiteboard or paper, pen, ruler and calculator to hand in each session.
To extract DNA:
- Small jug or beaker
- A fork
- 1/4 of a banana (a similar volume of kiwi or defrosted peas or a couple of strawberries should also work)
- A teaspoon of table salt
- A teaspoon of liquid soap / washing up liquid
- About 50mL very warm water (approx. 60℃) Take care against scalding and with water near electronics. Supervision with younger children is strongly recommended)
- A thermometer is helpful but not essential
- Filter paper: a coffee filter paper is fine (+ spare if possible), a muslin cloth would also work, but might be more difficult to handle.
- approx. 10mL very COLD isopropyl alcohol / surgical spirit / rubbing alcohol (available at most pharmacies and supermarkets) This should be placed in the freezer for at least an hour before use and only taken out when needed towards the end of the session.
- Tall, narrow glass or 50mL measuring cylinder
- A Pipette is helpful but not essential
- Long skewer / slim stick / pipe cleaner
To make a personalised hanging DNA model mobile:
- Two long pipe cleaners (ideally 30cm, but shorter would also work)
- Beads: four colours, at least three of each colour
- Scissors (take care with sharps)
- Dark felt pen or marker (fine tip)
- Four paper straws cut into pieces about 2cm long
- Colour pens / pencils (optional)
- Eight pipe cleaner pieces, each cut to approx. 6cm.
Links show suggestions for appropriate resources
Price is for one device (screen) to join for one session.
Upon booking you will receive a digital download (available for one year) with joining instructions and link, equipment list, home-ed journal text and registration form link (for photography consent form and opportunity to let us know any relevant needs),