Chromatography - separating colours with chemistry! For 11-16s
Tuesday 30th September 2023: 2.10 - 3pm (Online STEM)
Separating colours with Chemistry!
+ Conduct chromatography experiments
+ Watch exciting demonstrations!
+ Learn about solvents and solutes
+ Learn about plant pigments, good chromatography practice and Rf values.
Your home-education journal is already written!
Your booking confirmation will include a digital download containing joining instructions and link, equipment list and a summary of the keywords, key concepts and student activities planned for this session. You can simply copy, paste and adapt it for your home-education journal and use it to help you discuss the learning with your child afterwards.
Equipment (To join an entirely optional practical)
It is a good idea to have a whiteboard or paper, pen, ruler and calculator to hand in each session.
- Table cloth / mat / tray
- A permanent black pen (if possible, not essential)
- A range of permanent colour pens (if possible, not essential)
- A range of water soluble colour felt pens
- Six or more small cups / glasses, or beakers
- Water (take care near electronics)
- White coffee filter papers (thick paper towel may also work)
- Nail varnish remover
- Pipettes / syringes (not essential) or teaspoons
- Scissors (take care with sharps)
- A round coin (any value)
- Kebab skewers / lolly sticks / cocktail sticks
- A range of small pieces of strongly coloured fruit / vegetables (e.g. spinach, raspberries, carrot, grass, red cabbage, beetroot, leaves of any sort). Flower petals also work well!
- Eye protection recommended
Links suggest sources of appropriate resources
Price is for one device (screen) to join for one session.
Upon booking you will receive a digital download (available for one year) with joining instructions and link, equipment list, home-ed journal text and registration form link (for photography consent form and opportunity to let us know any relevant needs),