Build a thermal tower!
Learn how and why heat rises and how we can harness heat energy, whilst building your own thermal tower!
+Watch exciting demonstrations!
+ The older groups will also learn about radiation of heat energy and density with relation to the particle model
5-9s groups: 1 - 1:50pm (UK GMT): 16th / 17th March
10-15s groups: 2:10 - 3pm (UK GMT): 16th / 17th March
(Select from the options below).
Equipment (To join an entirely optional practical)
It is a good idea to have a whiteboard or paper, pen, ruler and calculator to hand in each session.
- Thick tin foil, about A4 size OR an A4 size piece of card of cereal box thickness.
- Pen / pencil
- Scissors (take care with sharps)
- A cocktail stick or kebab skewer (must have a pointed end, take care)
- A4 card or thick paper (ideally black or dark)
- Sticky tape
- A non-flame heat source (eg. sunny window, radiator, hot water bottle, microwaveable wheat bag, hand warmer, heat lamp).Should be hot but not hot enough to burn, take care with heat sources.
- string (about 20cm)
- Optional: thermometer
Links offer suggested sources of suitable materials.
What might younger students need help with?
- Tying a knot in the string, cutting and folding card /foil, carefully and accurately. Being careful with heat and sharp points on cocktail sticks.
Price is for one student for one session.
Upon booking you will receive a photography consent form and opportunity to let us know about any Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).
By booking you are agreeing to read and abide by the privacy, safety and cancellation policies. (Opens in a separate window).