- Online STEM
- Spring 2
- Flower dissection
Learn about the structures within a flower and what they do!
+ Watch and carry out a careful dissection of a flower
+ Look at pollen under a microscope.
+ Create a decorative and informative record of your dissection!
+ See a bee's perspective of flowers!
+ The older groups will learn about the structures and their functions in greater depth
Your home-education journal is already written!
In your booking confirmation email you'll receive a summary of the keywords, key concepts and student activities planned for this session. You can simply copy, paste and adapt it for your home-education journal and use it to help you discuss the learning with your child afterwards.
Tuesday 21st March
5-8s group: 11 - 11:50am (UK GMT)
8-12s group: 1 - 1:50pm (UK GMT)
11-16s group: 2:10 - 3pm (UK GMT)
(Select from the options below).
Equipment (To join an entirely optional practical)
It is a good idea to have a whiteboard or paper, pen, ruler and calculator to hand in each session.
- Tray / plate / chopping board, ideally white
- A whole flower (flowering, not budding), ideally a daffodil + spares if possible (those with pollen allergies may wish to take appropriate precautions)
- Pen paper / whiteboard and pen
- Sharp scissors and / or knife (take care with sharps)
- Forceps or tweezers would be helpful
- Optional: A piece of white card or paper, pen and glue stick - If you would like to make a decorative and informative record of your dissection.
Links offer suggested sources of suitable materials.
What might younger students need help with?
Younger students may need help with careful handling of scissors and laying out their flower gently.
Price is for one device (screen) to join for one session.
Upon booking you will receive a photography consent form and opportunity to let us know about any Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).