Learn all about what density is and how we can measure it!
+ Make a stunning density rainbow tower!
+Watch exciting demonstrations!
+ The older groups will also learn to calculate density of irregularly shaped objects such as their hand and learn to explain density with the particle model.
Your home-education journal is already written!
In your booking confirmation email you'll receive a summary of the keywords, key concepts and student activities planned for this session. You can simply copy, paste and adapt it for your home-education journal and use it to help you discuss the learning with your child afterwards.
Tuesday 14th June
5-8s group: 11 - 11:50am (UK GMT)
8-12s group: 1 - 1:50pm (UK GMT)
11-15s group: 2:10 - 3pm (UK GMT)
(Select from the options below).
Equipment (To join an entirely optional practical)
It is a good idea to have a whiteboard or paper, pen, ruler and calculator to hand in each session.
- A tray or large plate might be a good idea
- 4 beakers or small cups
- Approx. 12 teaspoons of sugar (caster if possible)
- Warm water (take care near electronics, not hot)
- Four different food colourings
- A tall narrow transparent container (measuring cylinder, glass, boiling / test tube or similar)
- Pipettes or teaspoons
- Two spoons
- Two identical glasses or beakers of water
- Approx. 3 tablespoons table salt
- Two raw eggs (these will be fine to eat afterwards)
- Cloths to hand in case of spills
Students in the 8-12s and 11-15s groups will also need:
- Kitchen scales
- Measuring jug (needs markings) of water
- Marker pen
- A range of small objects you don’t mind getting wet!
- Pen & paper / whiteboard & pen
Links suggest sources of appropriate resources
What might younger students need help with?
Younger students might need help with careful handling of liquids and being slow and gentle as they add their syrup.
Price is for one device (screen) to join for one session.
Upon booking you will receive a photography consent form and opportunity to let us know about any Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).