Chromatography - separating colours with chemistry!
Separating colours with Chemistry!
+ Conduct chromatography experiments
+Watch exciting demonstrations!
+ The 11-15s group will also learn about plant pigments, good chromatography practice and how to calculate Rf values.
Your home-education journal is already written!
In your booking confirmation email you'll receive a summary of the keywords, key concepts and student activities planned for this session. You can simply copy, paste and adapt it for your home-education journal and use it to help you discuss the learning with your child afterwards.
Tuesday 21st June
5-8s group: 11 - 11:50am (UK GMT)
8-12s group: 1 - 1:50pm (UK GMT)
11-15s group: 2:10 - 3pm (UK GMT)
(Select from the options below).
Equipment (To join an entirely optional practical)
It is a good idea to have a whiteboard or paper, pen, ruler and calculator to hand in each session.
- Table cloth / mat / tray
- A permanent black pen (if possible, not essential)
- A range of permanent colour pens (if possible, not essential)
- A range of water soluble colour felt pens
- Six or more cups / glasses, or beakers
- Water (take care near electronics)
- White coffee filter papers
- Nail varnish remover
- Pipettes / syringes (not essential) or teaspoons
- Scissors (take care with sharps)
- Kebab skewers / lolly sticks
- A range of small pieces of strongly coloured fruit / vegetables (e.g. spinach, raspberries, carrot, grass, red cabbage, beetroot, leaves of any sort)
- Eye protection recommended
- A round coin (any value)
Links suggest sources of appropriate resources
What might younger students need help with?
Younger students might need help with careful cutting and pouring and hanging their papers on sticks.
Price is for one device (screen) to join for one session.
Upon booking you will receive a photography consent form and opportunity to let us know about any Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).