Exothermic (hot) reactions!
Feel the heat as you conduct your own exothermic reaction at home!
+Watch exciting demonstrations!
+The older groups will also learn about activation energy and the different energy levels of an exothermic chemical reaction.
Your home-education journal is already written!
In your booking confirmation email you'll receive a summary of the keywords, key concepts and student activities planned for this session. You can simply copy, paste and adapt it for your home-education journal and use it to help you discuss the learning with your child afterwards.
Tuesday 10th January
5-8s group: 11 - 11:50am (UK GMT)
8-12s group: 1 - 1:50pm (UK GMT)
11-15s group: 2:10 - 3pm (UK GMT)
(Select from the options below).
Equipment (To join an entirely optional practical)
It is a good idea to have a whiteboard or paper, pen, ruler and calculator to hand in each session.
- Dried yeast (min. Three teaspoons)
- Test tubes / jars / glasses beakers (take care with glass)
- Pipettes / syringes
- Teaspoon / measuring spoon (as used for medicines)
- Thermometer if you have one (not essential)
- Tray or plate
- Cloth / towel for spills
- Hydrogen peroxide (3%), (sold in most pharmacies / supermarkets). Though it is used to disinfect cuts, it may cause some skin irritation. Supervision is recommended. Do not ingest or inhale. Wash with water if it gets on the skin. See here for further information.
- Eye protection
- Washing up liquid / liquid soap
Links suggest sources of appropriate resources
What might younger students need help with?
Younger students might need help with careful use of hydrogen peroxide (supervision recommended)
Price is for one device (screen) for one session.
Upon booking you will receive a photography consent form and opportunity to let us know about any Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).