Learn about the force of magnetism!
+ Experience the force of magnetism!
+Watch exciting demonstrations!
+ Make a working compass and find the North pole!
+ The older groups will also learn about magnetic field lines and domains
Your home-education journal is already written!
In your booking confirmation email you'll receive a summary of the keywords, key concepts and student activities planned for this session. You can simply copy, paste and adapt it for your home-education journal and use it to help you discuss the learning with your child afterwards.
Tuesday 5th July
5-8s group: 11 - 11:50am (UK GMT)
8-12s group: 1 - 1:50pm (UK GMT)
11-15s group: 2:10 - 3pm (UK GMT)
(Select from the options below).
Equipment (To join an entirely optional practical)
It is a good idea to have a whiteboard or paper, pen, ruler and calculator to hand in each session.
- A strong magnet or two (Neodymium ones are good) Warning - swallowing these can cause serious health problems, keep away from very young children and pets. Magnets can destroy electronic data storage. Keep a safe distance from phones, computers and devices.
- Metal paper clip (small, not coated in plastic)
- Fine sewing thread (about 30cm)
- Stack of books (about 20cm high)
- Sticky tape or blue tack
- 30cm ruler
- Range of sheets of different materials (paper, plastic, fabric, foil, etc)
- Large bowl of water
- Large sewing needle
- A leaf, or plastic bottle cap
- Compass (if possible, on smart phone is fine)
- Scissors (take care with sharps)
What might younger students need help with?
Younger students might need help with tying knots and careful handling of magnets, water and a needle.
Price is for one device (screen) to join for one session.
Upon booking you will receive a photography consent form and opportunity to let us know about any Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).