Refraction - bending light!
Bend light, split light, make rainbows and watch amazing optical illusions!
+ Bend light, split light and make rainbows!
+ Watch amazing optical illusions and exciting demonstrations!
+ The older groups will also learn about the laws of refraction and the normal line.
Your home-education journal is already written!
In your booking confirmation email you'll receive a summary of the keywords, key concepts and student activities planned for this session. You can simply copy, paste and adapt it for your home-education journal and use it to help you discuss the learning with your child afterwards.
Tuesday 11th October
5-8s group: 11 - 11:50am (UK GMT)
8-12s group: 1 - 1:50pm (UK GMT)
11-15s group: 2:10 - 3pm (UK GMT)
(Select from the options below).
Equipment (To join an entirely optional practical)
It is a good idea to have a whiteboard or paper, pen, ruler and calculator to hand in each session.
- A drinking glass or beaker (not bowl shaped or patterned). Take care with glass.
- Water (take care near electronics)
- A rounded wine glass (colourless glass) filled with water (take care near electronics, young children may need supervision)
- An A4 ish, white piece of card / paper and something to lean it against to give a vertical, white surface.
- A range of transparent objects (glasses / jars, lenses, dishes, anything!)
- paper and pen
- A piece of stiff, thin card
- Torch (a phone torch is best, with something to prop it up against)
- Older groups would benefit from paper, pencil, ruler and protractor.
- The experiments will be more effective if you can darken the room.
Links suggest sources of appropriate resources
What might younger students need help with?
Younger students might need help with handling glass and water carefully. They may also need help cutting card neatly.
Price is for one device (screen) to join for one session.
Upon booking you will receive a photography consent form and opportunity to let us know about any Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).