Heart biology for 8-12s
Tuesday 3rd October 2023: 1-1.50pm (Online STEM)
Hear your heart beating and see inside a real heart!
+ Make a working stethoscope and hear your heart beating
+ Watch a live heart dissection (lamb’s heart)
+ Learn about the structure and function of the heart.
Your home-education journal is already written!
Your booking confirmation will include a digital download containing joining instructions and link, equipment list and a summary of the keywords, key concepts and student activities planned for this session. You can simply copy, paste and adapt it for your home-education journal and use it to help you discuss the learning with your child afterwards.
Please note that this session includes a live dissection of real organs
(lamb and possibly cow).
Equipment (To join an entirely optional practical)
It is a good idea to have a whiteboard or paper, pen, ruler and calculator to hand in each session.
- Plastic funnel (around 7cm diameter or similar)
- Balloon (rounded shape + spare)
- Duct / gaffa / tough tape
- Cardboard tube, eg. kitchen roll inner (or silicone tubing is better if you have it, the diameter should be sufficient to fit snugly over the spout of your funnel, and with a minimum length of about 30cm)
- No heart required! The dissection will be done live on screen during the session for students to watch, but you are welcome to get hold of a heart to join in with your own dissection at home if you would like to.
Links suggest sources of appropriate resources
What might students need help with?
Students may need support and preparation to view the dissection of real organs.
They may need help using tape and scissors carefully and accurately.
Price is for one device (screen) to join for one session.
Upon booking you will receive a digital download (available for one year) with joining instructions and link, equipment list, home-ed journal text and registration form link (for photography consent form and opportunity to let us know any relevant needs),