Learn what the term "viscosity" means and how scientists measure it
+ Test various liquids for viscosity, including chocolate!
+ Develop understanding of fair testing an experimental design
Your home-education journal is already written!
In your booking confirmation email you'll receive a summary of the keywords, key concepts and student activities planned for this session. You can simply copy, paste and adapt it for your home-education journal and use it to help you discuss the learning with your child afterwards.
Tuesday 9th May
8-12s group: 1 - 1:50pm (UK GMT)
11-16s group: 2:10 - 3pm (UK GMT)
(Select from the options below).
Equipment (To join an entirely optional practical)
It is a good idea to have a whiteboard or paper, pen, ruler and calculator to hand in each session.
- Approx. 50g molten chocolate in a cup (they'll need this melted and ready to use at the beginning of the session) take care with hot liquids. (if you don't want to use chocolate, a flour and water paste would also work)
- 5 teaspoons
- 6 rectangular biscuits or pieces of card
- Two plates
- Four or five Boiling tubes / tall narrow glasses / jars (the narrower they are the less liquid you'll need)
- Enough of each of these to fill at least 10cm depth of your tubes or jars
-water (take care near electronics)
-Liquid soap / shampoo
-Vegetable or other oil
-To extend the experiment: One or more other liquids (such as tomato ketchup, passata, sauce, fruit juice)
- Five or more small heavy balls of equal size, they need to fit in your tubes: Marbles (standard / small size) are ideal. Small bolts, ball-bearings, nuts, drawing pins or 5p pieces would also do.
- Stop watch / timer
- You might want cloths and hand washing wipes to hand!
Links offer suggested sources of suitable materials.
What might younger students need help with?
This could be a little messy! Younger students may need help with cleaning as they go and not touching computers with sticky hands!
They may need chocolate to be melted or kept warm and molten until the need it (should be fairly early in the session).
Price is for one device (screen) to join for one session.
Upon booking you will receive a photography consent form and opportunity to let us know about any Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).