Emulsions chemistry: make butter!
Learn all about emulsions chemistry & make butter!
+ conduct experiments to understand emulsions and make your own butter!
+Watch exciting demonstrations!
+ The older groups will also learn about colloids, miscibility and hydrophobic and hydrophilic properties
Tuesday 20th April
5-8s group: 11 - 11:50am (UK GMT)
9-13s group: 1 - 1:50pm (UK GMT)
11-15s group: 2:10 - 3pm (UK GMT)
(Select from the options below).
Equipment (To join an entirely optional practical)
It is a good idea to have a whiteboard or paper, pen, ruler and calculator to hand in each session.
- Double cream (min.50mL)
- A clean jar (glass or strong plastic)with a well-fitting lid
- Sticky tape
- A few hard, dried beans / peas / pulses.
- Two small jars with lids, or boiling tubes with rubber bungs
- Pippettes / syringes / droppers
- Vegetable or olive oil (approx 20mL)
- Vinegar (any kind), approx 10mL
- A few drops of detergent / washing up liquid / liquid soap
- Cloth / wipes in case of spills
- A tray or plate to work on might be a good idea
Links suggest sources of appropriate resources
What might younger students need help with?
Making sure lids are on tightly and taking care not to knock things when shaking jars! They may need help shaking their jars if their arms get tired!
Price is for one student for one session.
Upon booking you will receive a photography consent form and opportunity to let us know about any Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).
By booking you are agreeing to read and abide by the privacy, safety and cancellation policies. (Opens in a separate window).