Chromatography - separating colours with chemistry! For 8-12s
Tuesday 30th September 2023: 1-1.50pm (Online STEM)
Separating colours with Chemistry!
+ Conduct chromatography experiments
+ Watch exciting demonstrations!
+ Learn about solvents and solutes
Your home-education journal is already written!
Your booking confirmation will include a digital download containing joining instructions and link, equipment list and a summary of the keywords, key concepts and student activities planned for this session. You can simply copy, paste and adapt it for your home-education journal and use it to help you discuss the learning with your child afterwards.
Equipment (To join an entirely optional practical)
It is a good idea to have a whiteboard or paper, pen, ruler and calculator to hand in each session.
- Table cloth / mat / tray
- A permanent black pen (if possible, not essential)
- A range of permanent colour pens (if possible, not essential)
- A range of water soluble colour felt pens
- Six or more small cups / glasses, or beakers
- Water (take care near electronics)
- White coffee filter papers (thick paper towel may also work)
- Nail varnish remover
- Pipettes / syringes (not essential) or teaspoons
- Scissors (take care with sharps)
- A round coin (any value)
- Kebab skewers / lolly sticks / cocktail sticks
- A range of small pieces of strongly coloured fruit / vegetables (e.g. spinach, raspberries, carrot, grass, red cabbage, beetroot, leaves of any sort). Flower petals also work well!
- Eye protection recommended
Links suggest sources of appropriate resources
What might younger students need help with?
Younger students might need help with careful cutting and pouring and hanging their papers on sticks.
Price is for one device (screen) to join for one session.
Upon booking you will receive a digital download (available for one year) with joining instructions and link, equipment list, home-ed journal text and registration form link (for photography consent form and opportunity to let us know any relevant needs),