Exothermic (hot) reactions! For 8-12s
Tuesday 9th January 2023: 1-1.50pm (Online STEM)
Feel the heat as you conduct your own exothermic reaction at home!
+Watch exciting demonstrations!
+Learn about activation energy
Your home-education journal is already written!
Your booking confirmation will include a digital download containing joining instructions and link, equipment list and a summary of the keywords, key concepts and student activities planned for this session. You can simply copy, paste and adapt it for your home-education journal and use it to help you discuss the learning with your child afterwards.
Equipment (To join an entirely optional practical)
It is a good idea to have a whiteboard or paper, pen, ruler and calculator to hand in each session.
- Dried yeast (min. three teaspoons)
- Test tubes / jars / glasses beakers (take care with glass)
- Pipettes / syringes
- Teaspoon / measuring spoon (as used for medicines)
- Thermometer if you have one (not essential)
- Hydrogen peroxide (3%), (sold in most pharmacies / supermarkets). Though it is used to disinfect cuts, it may cause some skin irritation. Supervision is recommended. Do not ingest or inhale. Wash with water if it gets on the skin. See here for further information.
- Tray or plate
- Cloth / towel for spills
- Eye protection
- Washing up liquid / liquid soap
Links suggest sources of appropriate resources
What might younger students need help with?
Younger students might need help with careful use of hydrogen peroxide (supervision recommended)
Price is for one device (screen) to join for one session.
Upon booking you will receive a digital download (available for one year) with joining instructions and link, equipment list, home-ed journal text and registration form link (for photography consent form and opportunity to let us know any relevant needs),