Acids and alkalis for 8-12s - Colourful chemistry!
Tuesday 26th September 2023: 1-1.50pm (Online STEM)
Experience the colourful chemistry of pH!
+ Make your own pH indicator solution
+ Discover the colourful chemistry of acids and alkalis
+ Work out why toothpaste helps clean our teeth
+ Watch exciting demonstrations!
+ Learn about the pH scale.
Your home-education journal is already written!
Your booking confirmation will include a digital download containing joining instructions and link, equipment list and a summary of the keywords, key concepts and student activities planned for this session. You can simply copy, paste and adapt it for your home-education journal and use it to help you discuss the learning with your child afterwards.
Equipment (To join an entirely optional practical)
It is a good idea to have a whiteboard or paper, pen, ruler and calculator to hand in each session.
- Red cabbage, chopped small (about 5 tablespoons worth)
- Measuring (or similar) jug
- Boiling water (hazard: supervision required)
- Several spoons
- White plates / tiles
- Test tubes / boiling tubes / small glasses / small transparent jars
- Vinegar (colourless, “white” vinegar), red or malt won’t work so well.
- A range of safe household substances (ideally including as many of the following as possible: citrus juice, milk, bicarbonate of soda, water, lemonade, toothpaste, cleaning fluid / laundry detergent, antacid tablets)
- Several larger glasses or beakers or jars
- Eye protection recommended
- Pipettes / syringes / teaspoons
- A tray / table cloth to work on is a good idea
- Cloth for spills
Links suggest sources of appropriate resources
What might students need help with?
Students might need help with pouring liquids carefully, potential spills, using household substances safely and encouraging awareness of the hazards of some household substances.
Price is for one device (screen) to join for one session.
Upon booking you will receive a digital download (available for one year) with joining instructions and link, equipment list, home-ed journal text and registration form link (for photography consent form and opportunity to let us know any relevant needs),