- Online STEM
- Autumn 2
- Fluorescence chemistry - make a glow in the dark lava lamp!
Fluorescence chemistry - make a glow in the dark lava lamp!
Make a fluorescent lava lamp!
(Whilst learning about fluorescence chemistry)!
+ Make a fluorescent lava lamp!
+ Learn why some things glow in the dark
+ Watch amazing demonstrations
+ The older group will also learn about the electromagnetic spectrum, atomic structure and the excitation of electrons
Your home-education journal is already written!
In your booking confirmation email you'll receive a summary of the keywords, key concepts and student activities planned for this session. You can simply copy, paste and adapt it for your home-education journal and use it to help you discuss the learning with your child afterwards.
Tuesday 8th November
5-8s group: 11 - 11:50am (UK GMT)
8-12s group: 1 - 1:50pm (UK GMT)
11-15s group: 2:10 - 3pm (UK GMT)
(Select from the options below).
Equipment (To join an entirely optional practical)
It is a good idea to have a whiteboard or paper, pen, ruler and calculator to hand in each session.
- "Blacklight" / UV torch (hazard: do not shine in eyes, you may want some sunglasses to hand)
- Table cloth / mat / tray
- Highlighter pen, any colour (one you don't mind being destroyed)
- paper or card (black is best but any will do)
- Small transparent, colourless bottle (300mL or less ideally, glass or plastic) smooth sided if possible, with leakproof lid.
- Vit C tablets / "Alka seltzer" / other effervescent tablet (supervise medicines if necessary)
- Baby oil (ideally) / vegetable oil or similar will also work (approx. 200mL)
- cup of water
- ability to darken the room if possible!
- Towel or cloth
- Pipette or syringe (medicine syringes are fine)
- Pliers (supervision recommended), scissors may do
Links suggest sources of appropriate resources
Price is for one device (screen) to join for one session.
Upon booking you will receive a photography consent form and opportunity to let us know about any Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).