Fantastic Fungi! For 8-12s
Tuesday 14th November 2023: 1-1.50pm (Online STEM)
Explore the fantastic world of fungi big and small!
+ Make a beautiful spore print
+ Create a labelled mushroom dissection record and learn about its anatomy, structure and function
+ See what fungus looks like under the microscope!
Your home-education journal is already written!
Your booking confirmation will include a digital download containing joining instructions and link, equipment list and a summary of the keywords, key concepts and student activities planned for this session. You can simply copy, paste and adapt it for your home-education journal and use it to help you discuss the learning with your child afterwards.
Equipment (To join an entirely optional practical)
It is a good idea to have a whiteboard or paper, pen, ruler and calculator to hand in each session.
- Three or more fresh mushrooms (edible ones from a shop). Please do not use foraged mushrooms as it can be very hard to be certain of their safety.
- A sharp knife is useful (supervision recommended) but not essential
- A plate or chopping board
- A4 white card or paper
- White card or paper (min. 10cm x 10cm)
- Black card or paper (min. 10cm x 10cm)
- Fine hairspray (optional) or artists fixing spray (not needed until the day after the session)
- A fine / sharp pen or pencil
- A small bowl or tub with a diameter larger than your mushroom, transparent if possible. A large yoghurt or soup pot is ideal.
- A ruler may be helpful.
- You may wish to print the template provided.
What might younger students need help with?
Younger students might need help with careful dissection and labelling.
Price is for one device (screen) to join for one session.
Upon booking you will receive a digital download (available for one year) with joining instructions and link, equipment list, home-ed journal text and registration form link (for photography consent form and opportunity to let us know any relevant needs),